AmpliFi offers several model options to meet each home's different networking needs. The AmpliFi kits offer a more robust solution, but many times the powerful standalone router (AFI-R) will be enough to provide internet to all corners of the home. Additionally, you can build your own system with our standalone products, customizing AmpliFi to fit your specific needs. See the Compatibility Guide below to learn which devices you can use to expand your network.
This article includes a brief description of the AmpliFi models, but please see the full specifications tables in the product Datasheets before deciding to purchase a device.
Note Keep in mind that the ranges provided below are free of obstructions. If obstructions or interference are present in the deployment, ranges can vary.
- AmpliFi HD System (AFI-HD): This kit includes a router base station and two wireless super mesh points for maximum Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home. Range: 20,000 Sq Ft.
- AmpliFi Instant Wi-Fi System (AFI-INS): Includes a router with an easy-to-use touchscreen display, 1 Gigabit Ethernet port, a WAN port, an Ethernet cable, and one MeshPoint with an Ethernet port to maximize coverage and eliminate dead zones in your home. Range : 4,000 Sq Ft.
- AmpliFi HD Gamer’s Edition (AFI-G): This kit is equipped with a GeForce NOW QoS mode, developed by Ubiquiti with NVIDIA’s support to quickly adjust networks for optimal game-streaming performance. Range: 20,000 Sq Ft.
- AmpliFi Alien (AFI-ALN): This kit includes the AmpliFi Alien router with the latest 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 technology and an AmpliFi Alien meshpoint with 1 gigabit WAN port which can be used for ethernet backhaul connection.
Important Devices sold in kits are hard-coded to one another and cannot be paired to other devices. The mesh system can be expanded by adding as many standalone mesh units as needed. To verify if your devices are standalone, see this article; or see the list of standalone units below.
AmpliFi Standalone Devices
- Standalone HD Mesh Router (AFI-R) is great for powerful coverage in an average sized space. Additionally, the standalone mesh router can be a powerful tool when added to existing AmpliFi hardware. Range: 10,000 Sq Ft.
- Standalone MeshPoint HD (AFI-P-HD) is a fantastic solution for not only adding distance and coverage to existing AmpliFi units, but also works with third party routing solutions. Please note that the MeshPoint will not provide internet on its own, it must be paired to a router. Range: 5,000 Sq Ft.
- AmpliFi Instant (AFI-INS-R) is a simple and quick setup solution designed for ease of use, while still packing that AmpliFi punch for long range needs. Range: 2,000 Sq Ft.
- AmpliFi Alien (AFI-ALN-R) With the latest 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 technology, AmpliFi Alien delivers 4x the overall network capacity and 2x the coverage while reaching true gigabit speeds. It features a tri-band radio with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11ax radios optimized for Wi-Fi 6 performance and backwards compatibility with previous Wi-Fi standards. AmpliFi Alien is not compatible with other AmpliFi models. To expand an Alien network, add on other Alien routers. Range: ongoing more tests in the field; will update soon.
This compatibility guide illustrates which models are compatible for meshing and pairing; check marks indicate compatibility. For example, if you have an AFi-HD and are thinking about expanding your system, a quick glance at the table will show you that you can expand your network with an AFi-R and a AFi-INS-R, but not with another AFi-HD.
Please note that the Teleport VPN feature is now available without any extra hardware: with the Teleport App or Router to Router Teleport modes, and is compatible with all our routers: HD, Instant, Gamer and Alien. Teleport hardware device is not compatible with Alien.
The following methods of network expansion are possible:
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD MeshPoint to an AmpliFi Network (wireless)
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD Mesh Router or Instant Router to an AmpliFi Network (wireless)
- How to Add an AmpliFi Alien to an AmpliFi Alien Network (wireless)
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD Mesh Router, AmpliFi Instant Router or AmpliFi Alien to an AmpliFi Network via Ethernet Backhaul (wired)
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD Mesh Router, Instant Router or AmpliFi Alien in Bridge Mode (wired)
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD MeshPoint or Router to a Third Party Router's Network (wireless)