The AmpliFi router has the ability to broadcast an additional SSID (Wi-Fi network) as well as select the band (2.4GHz or 5GHz) on which it will broadcast. The additional SSID must be added to each of the devices making up your AmpliFi system. If you only add the additional SSID to your router, but not to your mesh points, your client devices will only be able to connect to that Wi-Fi network when they are in range of the router. You could also add a different "additional SSID" to the router, and each of the MeshPoints if you wish.
This article shows you where to go in the app to enable and edit the name as well as the band in which this Wi-Fi network will operate. The password for any additional SSIDs will be the same as your main network. If you wish to remove one of your additional SSIDs, just follow the same path described in this article and toggle the feature off for every device that has it enabled.
Important When selecting a specific band for your Additional SSID, a -2g or -5g suffix will appear. At this time this cannot be removed.
1. Open the AmpliFi app.
2. Tap on the main router to enter its settings.
3. Tap on Wireless.
4. Scroll down to the Additional SSID section and enable it Additional SSID by tapping on the toggle.
5. Name the Additional SSID. This will be what users see when they are selecting a Wi-Fi network to connect to.
6. To switch the Additional SSID band from "Both" to 2.4GHz or 5 GHz specifically, tap the drop down menu for Additional SSID band and choose which band should be enabled in that SSID. When you select a specific band for the addition SSID, a suffix of "-2g" or "-5g" will be added to the SSID name. Currently, this cannot be removed. We will update this article when that changes.
7. Additional SSID's can also be hidden just like the primary SSID. Toggle the Hidden SSID option on to disable the broadcast of the additional SSID.
8. Tap the check mark in the top right to confirm and save settings.
Adding an Additional SSID on MeshPoints
To configure an Additional SSID on the MeshPoints please follow these steps:
1. Select the mesh point icon.
2. Toggle on the additional SSID.
3. Configure the SSID and the band to either 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or choose both. Make sure to save the configuration by tapping the check mark in the top, right hand corner.