AmpliFi's different product lines allow for network expandability by adding standalone devices: MeshPoints or routers. Routers can be added wirelessly or via ethernet backhaul (see instructions below). There is virtually no limit to the amount of standalone units that can be added as access points to the AmpliFi network, but there are two restrictions to keep in mind:
- Devices that came bundled together in a box are hard-coded to each other and cannot be used to expand another network. You can however, add standalone devices to expand a kit. Need help determining if a device is standalone? See this article: How to Verify if a Device is Standalone.
- The Alien line is only compatible with Alien products. AmpliFi HD, AmpliFi Instant and AmpliFi Gamer's Edition are compatible with each other but not with the Alien line. For more information, see this Compatibility matrix.
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD MeshPoint to an AmpliFi Network
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD standalone router or Instant standalone router to an AmpliFi Network
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD MeshPoint or Router to a Third Party Router's Network
Ensure the MeshPoint you wish to add is plugged in and powered on: the three middle LED lights on the AmpliFi HD MeshPoint should be flashing. The LCD of the AmpliFi device should be showing ready for setup.
Option 1: Launch the AmpliFi app, and select Adopt to a router to add the MeshPoint to the app that has discovered it. Note it may take up to two minutes to fully adopt a new device.
Option 2: Alternatively you can manually add the router or a MeshPoint using the AmpliFi router's LCD screen. When prompted, select Add to Mesh and wait for adoption to complete.
This process will show how to add a standalone router wirelessly. To learn how to configure a router as a mesh point (RAMP) via a wired connection (ethernet backhaul), see this article: How to Enable Ethernet Wired Backhaul . Both the HD and Instant models are added using the same method described in this section.
Ensure that the router is plugged in and displaying the screen shown below. This will mean it is ready for adoption.
The standalone AmpliFi HD Router and MeshPoint can be set up as an access point with a 3rd party router by following this procedure:
Note To add the AmpliFi router in bridge mode instead of a network extender, please refer to this article. The Alien product line does not support third party mode.
Plug in your AmpliFi router or MeshPoint. The MeshPoint will have the 3 middle LEDs flashing, indicating that the MeshPoint is ready to be added.
Setup can be performed using the AmpliFi app or by connecting to the wireless 'setup network' on a computer or mobile device.
Setup using the AmpliFi app
1. Launch the AmpliFi app.
2. Tap on the plus sign in the top right corner.
3. Select Set Up Independent AmpliFi Mesh Point.
4. Select the standalone router or mesh point to be set up.
5. Follow the setup wizard steps.
Setup through the setup network
1. Connect to the MeshPoint's setup network, it should have the model name of the device and several letters and numbers after.
2. A setup window will pop up, select the network that the MeshPoint will extend (the local network).
3. Enter the password for the network you selected.
4. The MeshPoint will then connect to the selected network.