It is possible to add AmpliFi standalone devices such as the HD MeshPoint, HD Router or Instant Router as a mesh point to expand an existing AmpliFi network, either wirelessly or via ethernet backhaul. There is virtually no limit to the amount of standalone units that can be added as access points to the AmpliFi network. This article includes the following instructions:
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD MeshPoint to an AmpliFi Network
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD Mesh Router or Instant Router to an AmpliFi Network
- How to Add an AmpliFi HD MeshPoint or Router to a Third Party Router's Network
Warning Adding devices to networks can only be done with standalone units. Routers and MeshPoints from AmpliFi kits cannot be paired to any router other than the one they came bundled with.
1.Ensure the MeshPoint you wish to add is plugged in and powered on: the three middle LED lights on the MeshPoint should be flashing.
2. Option 1: Launch the AmpliFi app, and select Add to network to add the MeshPoint the app has discovered. Note it may take up to two minutes to fully adopt a new device.
3. Option 2: Alternatively you can manually add the MeshPoint using the AmpliFi router's LCD screen. When prompted, select Add to Mesh and wait for adoption to complete.
This process will show how to add a standalone router or AmpliFi Instant wirelessly to the mesh. To learn how to configure a router using ethernet backhaul, see this article. Both the HD and the Instant routers are added using the same method described in this section.
1. Ensure that the router is plugged in and displaying the screen shown below. This will mean it is ready for adoption.
2. Option 1: Launch the AmpliFi app and select Add to network to add the router discovered to the mesh network. Note it may take up to two minutes to fully adopt new device.
Option 2: Alternatively, manually add the new router using the currently configured router's LCD screen. When prompted, select Add to Mesh and wait for adoption to complete.
The standalone AmpliFi HD Router and MeshPoint can be set up as an access point with a 3rd party router by following this procedure:
Note To add the AmpliFi router in bridge mode instead of a network extender, please refer to this article.
1. Plug in your AmpliFi router or MeshPoint. The MeshPoint will have the 3 middle LEDs flashing, indicating that the MeshPoint is ready to be added.
2. Setup can be performed using the AmpliFi app or by connecting to the router or MeshPoint's Setup wireless network on a computer or mobile device.
Setup using the AmpliFi app
1. Launch the AmpliFi app.
2. Select Setup AmpliFi Standalone MeshPoint
3. Select the standalone router or mesh point to be set up.
4.Select a local network for it to extend and enter the password for that network.
After entering the password the MeshPoint will connect to the selected network.
Setup through the setup network
1. Connect to the MeshPoint's setup network, it should have the model name of the device and several letters and numbers after.
2. A setup window will pop up, select the network that the MeshPoint will extend (the local network).
3. Enter the password for the network you selected.
4. The MeshPoint will then connect to the selected network.