Device placement will vary depending on a number of factors; you can use the LEDs on the HD MeshPoints to guide you as you move them around to find the optimal coverage. You can also adjust the mesh point's angle to get better signal.
For best performance, place the AmpliFi router at the center of the home or as close to the center as possible. It is recommended to place an AmpliFi mesh point on each side of the router, halfway between the AmpliFi router and an area in the home where there is poor connectivity.
If placing the AmpliFi router near the center of the home is not possible, "daisy chaining" is the next best solution. That means that the signal will jump from one mesh point to the next.
Once placed, if the signal is not ideal, move the mesh points around a bit, trying to keep the face of the mesh point toward the router for best reception. Observe the mesh points' LEDs to verify where they are receiving the best signal. All networks will be different, but you can use the following tips as a guide to get you started:
- The MeshPoints should have about 80% signal level or more. All five LEDs on the mesh points will light up when receiving 100% signal. See other LED statuses in this article.
- Place the MeshPoints at least 25 feet away from each other. For the best result we would suggest to place the mesh point 60-70 feet from the router.
- Depending on what your main goal is, you might want to change the band on which the mesh point is operating. Follow the steps in this article to change this setting.
- For maximum coverage the MeshPoint's backhaul needs to be set at 2.4GHz.
- For higher speeds, the 5GHz is recommended.