Starting with AmpliFi firmware v3.1.0, AmpliFi network users can now create a secure virtual private network (VPN) access to their home network from anywhere in the world with just their AmpliFi router and a device running our free Teleport app. The Teleport app is available for iOS, Android, and Android TV devices and downloadable in the App Store and Google Play store.
Follow these steps to enable:
1. Launch the AmpliFi App.
To access the AmpliFi app remotely (which is required for Teleport), you will need to enable remote access before leaving home since you will need to connect to your AmpliFi WiFi. This article explains how to enable remote access.
2. Navigate to Guest tab > Teleport VPN and tap "Generate Code".
3. This code can be used to create a VPN connection between two AmpliFi routers, as well as devices connecting using the AmpliFi Teleport app. The generated code must be used within the hour and is only valid for a single device. Once the code is used successfully, the connection will not expire until it is closed.
4. Now to complete the VPN connection, launch the Teleport app. When you launch Teleport make sure that you are not connected to your AmpliFi's router's WiFi. If you are testing this at home, connect using your phone's cellular data and not the WiFi. Teleport needs to know you are "away" in order to function correctly.
5. On the Teleport app, enter the code generated in step 3.
6. The device will begin the process to connect to your AmpliFi home network.
And that's all it takes!
Connected Devices and Stats
You can view the connected devices and statistics on the AmpliFi app:
Notice the Teleport logo underneath the device name as well as total connection time, the iPhone in this example:
If you tap on one of the connected devices, you can view IP addresses, the date of when it first connected to your network as well as the option to revoke access to the network.
The toggle switch for Local Network will enable LAN access for this device. Enabling LAN access for teleported devices will have to be done on each device individually.
Disconnecting a Device
Closing the VPN connection can be done from either end of the VPN connection and it will need to be closed for each connected client.
To close the connection from the AmpliFi app that has received the code:
Pause Connection: In the Teleport tap the toggle to Off to pause the VPN connection and return to the local connection. To resume using Teleport, just tap it again to move the toggle to the On position. This will not require a new Teleport code.
Permanently End Connection: To permanently close the VPN connection, you must first pause the connection, following the instructions in the paragraph above, and then once you see the message of "You are disconnected", an "exit" icon will appear in the upper bar. Tap it to permanently close the VPN connection. This device will now require a new Teleport code to connect again.
To close the connection from the AmpliFi app that has generated the code:
1. Enter the Client Details screen for the specific device you wish to disconnect.
2. Scroll down and under Actions, tap "Revoke Access".
- If the connection is not successful, or an "Oops something went wrong, please try again later" message appears, please make sure that the device running the Teleport app is not connected to the AmpliFi router WiFi. So if you're at home using your AmpliFi WiFi to set up and test this feature, you cannot connect the device running Teleport to your home network, you can use your cellular data though.
- Something else that helps is to force the internet connection of the device running the Teleport app. So if you wish to use a mobile phone's internet (cellular data), disable WiFi on the device and then try to access the AmpliFi router using the Teleport app once again. And if you wish to use WiFi (any other WiFi that is not the one being broadcast by your AmpliFi router system) then try disabling cellular data on the device running the Teleport app.
Tip The process described can also be followed to share your code with friends and family that install the Teleport app on their devices!