With AmpliFi router firmware v3.1.2 & mobile app v1.11.1, AmpliFi mesh network users can now create a secure virtual private network (VPN) and access their home network with another AmpliFi router from anywhere in the world, using the regular (and free!) AmpliFi app.
Note To learn how to set up AmpliFi Teleport with your home router and the Teleport app (no other hardware needed), see this article: Setting Up with Teleport App. If you were searching for the previous Teleport version (Teleport device hardware) help, please see this article.
With two AmpliFi routers, one at your home location and one at any remote location with wired internet access, you can create a VPN tunnel between them. You can also share your home connection with friends and family using this feature. There is virtually no limit of how many routers you can configure with Teleport off of your home router, you would just repeat these steps with each new router you wish to connect via the Teleport feature.
Note The process is the same for AmpliFi Alien.
Follow these steps to set it up:
1. First, launch the AmpliFi app and using the remote access feature, switch to your home AmpliFi network. Without remote access enabled, Teleport cannot be used.
2. Tap the 3-line menu button in the top left, then select Teleport Code.
3. Select how many devices you want to be able to connect using this code, as well as the length of time devices may connect before the code expires. The time range can be from 1 to 24 hours, and the amount of devices allowed from 1 to 10. This code can also be shared with family and friends who also use AmpliFi equipment, just tap Share Code (where to enter the code is described later).
Note This code can be used to create a VPN between two AmpliFi routers, as well as devices connecting using the AmpliFi Teleport app.
4. Switch to your remote AmpliFi network by selecting "Switch AmpliFi". This is only possible if both networks are added to your remote access account, or if your mobile device is connected directly to the network.
5. On the remote locations router, select the Family tab.
6. Tap on the device you wish to Teleport to your home network (you can also swipe left on this device and select Teleport).
7. Tap "Teleport to remote router" and enter the code that was generated earlier.
8. The device will now indicate that it is currently being Teleported to a remote location and show a small flag icon underneath.
9. Using remote access, connect once again to your home network to view the devices connected remotely. LAN access can be given to devices connected via Teleport.
Please note that all devices connected using the Teleport feature will be using the same connection. This means if Local Network access is granted, all devices under that connection will be granted LAN access.
How to End the VPN Connection
Closing the VPN connection can be done from either end of the VPN connection.
To close the connection from the AmpliFi app that has received the code:
1. Go to the Family tab.
2. Tap on the client you wish to disconnect. It must be a client with a flag icon underneath, indicating it is currently using a Teleport VPN connection.
3. Under the Teleport Details header, tap on the "Close Teleport Connection" action. (See image in step 8). This will permanently sever the VPN connection. To connect again, this device will need to enter a Teleport code once again.
To close the connection from the AmpliFi app that has generated the code:
1. Using remote access, connect to your home network to view the devices connected remotely, as shown in step 9 above.
2. Tap on the Client that you wish to disconnect.
3. Scroll down and tap "Revoke access". (See image in step 9). This will permanently sever the VPN connection. To connect again, this device will need to enter a Teleport code once again.