This article provides instructions on how to set up the device (hardware) Teleport: both the Router and Teleport Kit (AFi-RT), as well as the standalone Teleport (AFi-T) when adding it to an existing AmpliFi network. You can pair multiple Teleport devices to the same AmpliFi router. Please read the listed prerequisites before you begin setup.
Please see these two articles on how to use Teleport without using the Teleport device hardware:
- In order to accept pairing requests, Remote Access must be enabled on the AmpliFi router that the Teleport is paired with.
- At this time, Teleport cannot be setup straight out of the box remotely. For the Initial Setup, when you first pair Teleport with your home router you must be on the same local network as the AmpliFi router and in close range for the Bluetooth connection to take place; then starting in step 7 you must connect the Teleport device to another network to begin the remote aspect of the setup. This is explained further in the following point.
- To complete setup (step 7) you will need to connect the Teleport to another internet source, other than the one feeding the AmpliFi router. This is not an issue if you are away from home and setting up Teleport to be used, but if you are home and wishing to set it up and test it, then the easiest way to accomplish this is by using a mobile hotspot from your phone for the Teleport's connection. Although if possible, we recommend going to another location like a friend's house where you can use their WiFi.
- The Teleport itself does not provide an internet connection, it just provides a secure and encrypted link between your home network and the WiFi at your destination (a hotel room's WiFi for example) so you can browse content that available to you at home.
- For the Teleport Kit: If you already have an existing AmpliFi network, and wish to pair the Teleport and Router from the AFi-RT kit to that functioning network, you must unpair them so you can pair them with the existing network. The router would be added as a standalone "router as a mesh point".
AmpliFi Router and Teleport Kit (AFi-RT)
Skip down for the standalone Teleport initial setup.
1. Launch the AmpliFi app. Select the first option: "Setup AmpliFi Mesh System".
2. Follow the instructions in the app to complete the setup and configuration of the router and AmpliFi Network. Once finished, continue down to the Creating the Teleport Network section.
Standalone Teleport (AFi-T)
To initially pair the Teleport device to an already setup and working AmpliFi network, follow these steps. Ensure the Teleport is powered on and is displaying a half flashing circle.
1. Launch the AmpliFi app, and tap the Pair Now button once the AmpliFi Teleport has been discovered.
2. Once the Teleport is paired it will show up as offline (grayed out) in the Overview page of your AmpliFi system. Continue to the next section to create the Teleport Network.
Creating the Teleport Network
3. If it isn't yet, plug in and power on the Teleport device.
4. Once the Teleport has booted up, use a browser (on a computer, tablet or your phone) to connect to the Wi-Fi SSID that is called "Teleport <unique code>" where the last 6 characters match the last 6 characters of the Teleport's MAC ID.
5. Once connected, the Teleport Setup Wizard should appear automatically. If it does not, verify you're connected to the Teleport WiFi, open a web browser and navigate to http://amplifi.lan/ to continue setup.
6. The first step will be to name the Teleport's Wireless Network and secure it with a password. This will be the network you will connect to when you want to use your Teleport abroad.
7. Now select a WiFi network the Teleport can connect to. For users testing this at home: remember it must be a different internet source other than your AmpliFi router's WiFi (a friend's WiFi, a coffee shop nearby or your phone's mobile hotspot). Enter the password for the selected WiFi network.
8. Once connected, the Teleport will restart to continue setup.
9. Connect to the wireless network you've just named in step 6, which Teleport is now broadcasting. The setup window should automatically open.
10. Next, go to the AmpliFi mobile app once again. Once connected, you should receive a pairing prompt in the app. Tap on "Yes, pair this Teleport" to continue.
11. It will take some time for the connection to establish. Once finished, you should see the Teleport device online in the app as well.
Using Teleport Abroad
After completing the setup described above, you're ready to use Teleport any time. At each new location follow these steps to use your home network with Teleport's VPN:
1. Plug in the Teleport.
2. On the device you'll be using, connect to the Teleport's WiFi (the one you named on step 6 in this article).
3. You will be prompted to select one of the available WiFi networks (the hotel's, restaurant's, etc) and provide its password. You might be asked to confirm pairing with your AmpliFi router, click Yes if that's the case. Otherwise, just wait for the connection to be established.
4. Done, you can now access the content you would at home!